Reflection on Universal Design for Learning: Meeting the Needs of All Students
I like this article very much and have a better understanding of the purpose of UDL. In addition to expounding the significance of the UDL and its principles, this article also made me realize the responsibility of being a teacher. In my view, teaching is an art. A wise teacher knows that a key element in teaching is having a plan to spark the "fire" on the topic. When students generate the internal motivation, they usually learn better. But how to find the "wood" to ignite is another story. With UDL, teachers assess and understand a student's strength and weakness, try to apply his advantage and complement with his downside. From the two examples, both teachers demonstrated this essence. From their teaching, I got to know many useful websites, I believe if I could apply them well, the teaching could be more effective.
But, for a pre-service teacher, I personally recognize the most challenging part for me in UDL is how to assess and analyze students' all aspects. Nowadays, I believe the teachers need to expand our view about assessment first because the content or purpose of evaluation represents our value and expectation. And if we really implement "reflection" in teaching, teachers should understand the essence of the assessment. Of course, it's not easy for me growing up in Asia country with the very traditional concept of assessment value students but as a modern teacher, I totally agree with the spirit of UDL and know it's the right direction. Besides, this reflection makes me reinforce the knowledge of UbD, if I could have the clear idea about assessment in mind, I believe it's easier for me to design the activities and know where I should find the resources. Just as the teachers showed from the article, they apply many digital sources and allow students to practice collaboratively or independently. The most important thing is that behind the surface teaching, they both have a positive attitude toward their students and therefore every student can feel the teachers' intentions in such a dynamic learning environment where students come to believe that learning is fulfilling, consuming, and deeply satisfying!
Reference
Reference
Patti Ralabate(?) Universal Design for Learning: Meeting the Needs of All Students, retrieved from the website, http://www.readingrockets.org/article/universal-design-learning-meeting-needs-all-students
No comments:
Post a Comment